Creality CR-6 MAX 3D Printer
THE INCREDIBLE FEATURES OF THE CROWDFUNDED CREALITY CR-6 MAX?
With most new models that we receive to review and potentially stock, we usually see one or two major upgrades along with a few minor details being refined, and that’s great, because good things take time, and we’ve personally seen how a model that’s been rushed onto the market is typically just not as good, with small upgrades and refinements usually leading to more success. However, along with an excitingly bigger build volume, this Creality CR-6 Max 3D Printer has been packed full of amazing new features and a whole range of refinements, although instead of being a rushed job, this model has been carefully designed with the help of passionate Makers throughout the world. And let us tell you, the results have been astounding, producing an incredible machine with way more features than the price tag would suggest.
So, let’s take a close look at some of these key features, and you can expect to benefit from each when you get your own new Creality CR-6 Max:
- Automatic Bed Levelling via a Built-in Force Sensitive Resistor – Over the years, we’ve experimented with a lot of different 3D Printers, and we’ve seen a lot of different attempts at automatic bed levelling, each with their own distinct benefits and drawbacks. However, with the Creality CR-6 SE and now it’s larger CR-6 Max version, Creality have taken a very simple but extremely clever approach to bed levelling. Instead of having the bed levelling sensor be a separate unit, it has been intelligently integrated into the hotend assembly. This is done by using a specialised strain gauge, or Force Sensitive Resistor plate, and mounting the hotend directly onto that sensor plate. With this method, the machine can easily detect precisely when the nozzle touches down on the bed, completely eliminating the need for special probes, sonar or infrared detectors, or any other external sensors, as the actual hotend does all the sensing it needs to in order to ensure a perfect bed height each and every time. In fact, this system is actually so good that Creality have chosen to have a fixed-place bed, which doesn’t have any adjustment screws on the bottom. And while we were originally quite disgruntled by that idea, after just a few tests, we were blown away at just how effective this seemingly simple but incredibly clever design really is.
- 32-bit Motherboard with Integrated TMC2209 Drivers – As you will have probably seen, there has recently been a lot of hype around silent printing, with TMC Stepper Drivers taking front and centre stage for delivering high performance with near-silent operations. This is why it’s certainly no surprise that the impressive Creality CR-6 Max comes fully equipped with TMC2209 drivers, which are not only silent, but also offer a good range of extra features as well, for advanced Makers who really like to get the most out of every component they use. This of course is complemented with a powerful 32-bit motherboard, and these drivers have actually been integrated directly into the motherboard to ensure seamless compatibility and even further improved performance and heat management. These two upgrades translate to quieter, better quality 3D Printing with substantially fewer printing artefacts, as well as more precision and smoothness in the quick and complex motions that 3D Printers need to do.
- All of the Best User Upgrades from Around the World – Although we often say it, it’s not always easy to see, but Creality really does listen to feedback from users, and this machine is a prime example of exactly that, as Makers from all over the world all helped take part in the Creality CR-6 SE and Creality CR-6 Max Kickstarter campaigns, sharing their opinions and results to help Creality make “The Perfect 3D Printer” that includes all of the aftermarket parts and modifications that so many Makers throughout the world love. These upgrades, which of course have been added to the Creality CR-6 Max throughout the design process, include: Dual-Z Belted Leadscrews to reduce sag and improve accuracy over the whole gantry; Dual Y-axis with double synchronous belt to ensure printing accuracy and stability on the massive plate; a handy little Built-in Toolbox for keeping important tools out of sight, but well within reach; Integrated Belt Tensioners so you don’t have to unscrew anything to fix up the tension; a Versatile Spool Holder that can swivel out of the way if necessary; Cable Protection & Strain Relief for all of the cables, with particular focus on the hotbed connector; Clever Hotbed Fixators to keep the bed in place with simple swivel-mechanisms to lock and unlock it; and Pre-installed Fan Guards to keep those pesky filament flakes out of the electronics box. This incredible number of cool new features is enough to cause any Maker to start salivating on the spot, and they also mean that you don’t need to add anything to get all of the best upgrades and modifications that you’ve used, read about and planned to print in the past.
- The Quickest and Easiest Setup Yet – When comparing the Creality CR-6 Max to the many other “DIY 3D Printer Kits” on the market, which typically require the user to setup and install many of the components from separate parts, the Creality CR-6 Max takes all of that complicated mess and simplifies it into just two major parts, with a few minor extras to fit into place and screw in tight. Coming as a separated Gantry Assembly and Base Assembly, you simply need to line up the right places, screw in 6 screws in total, assemble the pull rods, clip in the spool holder, and plug in some cables. After that, you’re ready to start 3D Printing, with the included 200g of 3D Filament. You’ll have every excuse to immediately start having fun and experimenting with your fresh new machine. This setup process should take between 10 and 20 minutes depending on your mechanical prowess, and the only vital check you need to do to ensure nothing goes wrong is to check that the PSU is safely switched to 230V to match SA power. And of course, just to emphasise this factor even further, the Creality CR-6 SE even includes a 200g spool of free filament, which means you don’t even need to get separate materials to print with, and can instead just dive straight into the fun once your machine is set up.
Although we were originally quite scared at the massive number of changes and modifications to the classic Creality CR-10 and Ender design, we’ve been pleasantly impressed by just how carefully planned and well thought out each and every feature is. From basic enhancements to parts like the extruder and belt tensioners, to features that purely focus on the user experience, we can see the Creality CR-6 Max being the new favourite amongst 3D Makers of all skill levels, whether they are just getting into 3D Printing for the first time, or have been in the 3D Printing game for years already.
CREALITY CR-6 MAX 3D PRINTER – TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
– Actual Bed Size = 400 x 400mm
|– Bowden Style|
|– Specialised 0.4mm Nozzle (Machined for Silicone Sock)|
|– Specialised CR-6 Max Hotend|
|– Carborundum glass platform|
|– Up to 60mm/s|
|– Up to 100mm/s|
|– ± 0.1mm|
|– Creality 32-bit Motherboard|
|– 4.3inch HD Colour Touch Screen (Portrait)|
|– “Creality Slicer” Custom Cura|
|– Full Sized SD Card|
|– Automatic Force Sensitive Resistance Levelling|
|– Dark Grey Anodised Aluminium|
|– ±200g Spool of Free Filament|
|– Powerful & Silent 32bit Motherboard|
– Integrated TMC2209 Silent Stepper Drivers
– Dual-Sided Carborundum/Glass Bed
– Premium Features without Premium Price
– 10 Minute “Setup & Print” Assembly
|– 24V DC|
|– 100V to 120V AC | 200 to 240V AC (Toggle Switch)|
|– LRS-350-24 |24V, 350W, 14.6A|
PARTS INCLUDED WITH THE CREALITY CR-6 MAX 3D PRINTER: